Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday Sep 27, 2010 Coops burn

As usual Cooper woke us up with his fun natter. I felt like having some hot chocolate so I warmed some water in the microwave and then started making Coopers breakfast.  Cooper came toddling along and decided he wanted to see what was with the mug. I didn't get to him in time but I watched him pull the cup off the counter and dump it down himself.  I was freaked out. I tried my best to get his shirt off and ran into the bathroom to put cold water on it. I knew I needed to stop the burning so I did a dumb thing and put his arm under cold running water which caused the skin to peel off that had immediately blistered. Kent in the mean time was trying to figure out what was going on. 
Cooper was screaming at this time and I knew he had to go to Emerg. We took turns holding Cooper while frantically stocking the diaper bag and getting dressed. He doesn't cry very often when he hurts himself and if he does we cuddle him for as long as he will let us (30 seconds, if that) and then he wants down and will go play. However, he cried and continued to cry until we got in the car. Then once in emerg he started again and didn't stop until the Tylenol with codeine took affect.  The children's emerg was dead so we were taken in right away. By this time you could see the outline of the burn perfectly as it was bright red on his chest and his arm was equally as red but was forming blisters and oozing clear fluid. My poor baby. I was a basket case. Although I knew he would be fine I couldn't help but blame myself for my stupid actions and causing the pain Cooper was going through. First thing they did was put a temporary dressing on his arm and chest and then the Doc came in and looked at the burns and ordered pain management meds and a different more lasting dressing.
I was grateful for the pain meds they gave him. Eventually he settled down and Kent was able to distract him by making the stretcher in the room go up and down and then they watched Corner Gas on Kent's ipod. We were in and out in probably less than 1.5 hours.
So he now has a bulky dressing to his left arm which doesn't allow him to straighten it and a dressing to his chest with burn netting around his trunk down to his belly. The nurses did a great job. I just hope with all his moving and such that it stays on the full 3 days. We go back Thursday morning for reassessment.
Kent was suppose to leave this morning at 9am for Halifax. He didn't end up leaving until 2pm and is now only going for an over nighter instead of for 4 days. 



This should actually be the last picture. This was just before they cleaned the burns and put the long term dressing on.
 


The Tylenol with codeine had kicked in and although upset he was distracted by TV on Daddy's ipod.
 


His burn on his chest.  He had a temporary dressing on both sites but the one on his chest fell off.
 

Although it was a hard time for me I enjoyed seeing the 2 men in my life being together. I was touched by how good Kent was not only with Cooper but with me. I burst into tears a few times from the guilt and feeling bad for Cooper. 


2 comments:

  1. Ooo!! Ouch!!!! Hugs to you mom. I can only imagine how you felt......but know this.....we've ALL gone through that. The guilt feelings. It was just one of those things. And looks like he will be just fine. Good quick thinking on your part running to the tub of water. I don't know if I could of thought things through that quickly. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there. It sucks. But you said putting his arm under cold water was a dumb thing, but I don't think so! It is the first thing you should do, so good on ya. And even if the emerg. waiting room had been packed, they would have taken you right away. Did the doctors say how bad the burns were? I still feel guilt about Saeryn's hands but you put it behind you and move on. I'm really sorry you have to go through this! Cooper looks like such a cutie! Wish I could meet him.

    ReplyDelete